Breadcrumb
Baroque garden Schwarzenacker
The garden, which was only laid out in 1984/85, is the link between the baroque noble house built in 1722/23 and the Roman open-air museum, in which reconstructions of an approx. 2,000-year-old trading centre can be seen. At the beginning of the 18th century, Duke Gustav Samuel Leopold von Pfalz-Zweibrücken commissioned the Swedish architect Jonas Erikson Sundahl to convert a country residence in the then completely over-earthened ancient town area into a Baroque "noble house", probably with a contemporary garden at the rear. The house is now owned by the Homburg-Schwarzenacker Foundation and serves as a museum. With one exception, there are no garden archaeological findings for the baroque garden. The planners were inspired by the magnificent baroque garden of Oberschleißheim Palace near Munich. The main axis of the new baroque garden is modelled on the staircase of the noble house. The current fountain is a replica of a baroque fountain that was uncovered in the 1970s at a slightly different location. Due to the direct proximity to the ancient city, a Gallo-Roman temple was rebuilt here and a giant column of Jupiter and two equestrian statues were recreated.
Kontakt
Adresse
Römermuseum Schwarzenacker
Homburger Str. 38
66424 Homburg