Breadcrumb
Franciscan monastery in Blieskastel
Pilgrimage monastery above the rooftops of Blieskastel!
On a hill above the Blies Valley, known as the Han, stands the Holy Cross pilgrimage chapel, Blieskastel's "little chapel". It was built in 1682/83 by the Barons Carl Caspar and Damian Adolph von der Leyen, who ruled in Koblenz. The von der Leyen coat of arms still adorns the portal today. A crucifixion group, the Way of the Cross and a Holy Sepulchre were erected on the forecourt. A colonnade formed the end of the entire complex. A particular attraction at that time was a relic of the cross in the Holy Cross Chapel. The pilgrimage came to an end with the French Revolution. The chapel was plundered. From 1804 onwards, the Franciscans once again held devotions at the stations. In 1924, Capuchin monks were called to Blieskastel and in 1925 they began building the monastery complex. After the Capuchins left the monastery, the Franciscan Minorites took over the convent in 2005. Four brothers from the Krakow province of the order have been living and working in the former Capuchin convent since July 2005.
Kontakt
Adresse
Minoritenkloster
Klosterweg 35
66440 Blieskastel