Breadcrumb
Reinheim Round Church
Around the year 800, the Hornbach monastery, founded by St. Pirminius, was the centre of lively missionary activity, which at that time also extended to the lower Bliestal valley. The parish of Reinheim was first mentioned in documents in 1314. At that time, the round tower had already been standing for several centuries, while it took some time before the current nave was built.
The Catholic parish church of St. Mark combines two buildings of very different ages. The present church tower, popularly known as the "Heroes' Tower" or "Roman Tower", was built around 1000 AD from local limestone and was vaulted with a pointed dome at least until 1802 .
It originally served as a defensive tower, as evidenced today by the machicolation in the form of an animal's mouth on the south side. The tower's ecclesiastical use is first documented in 1488. It is possible that the tower served as a choir room for an attached nave at that time. Later, the tower was also used as a bell tower; from 1865, after the east wall of the nave built in 1790 was broken through to provide access to the tower, it housed a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary; after the Second World War and the repair of the damage caused by it, it was converted into a baptistery.
The present nave was built in 1790/91 by Peter Reheis, the court architect of Countess Marianne von der Leyen. The simple interior allows the valuable furnishings, especially the carvings by Jean Madersteck, to come into their own. The pulpit, confessionals and part of the wall panelling originally stood in Gräfinthal Monastery. The pulpit, which was refurbished during restoration work between 1954 and 1959, is supported by the figure of Samson, armed with donkey jawbones. The pulpit is divided into six arched niches.
Kontakt
Adresse
Rundkirche Reinheim
Kirchenstraße
66453 Reinheim
Verwaltungsadresse
Pfarrei Heilig Kreuz
Kirchenstraße 4
66453 Gersheim